THE POSITION BELOW IS VACANT IN THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION:
POSITION TITLE: Database Administrator Support
LOCATION: Planning Research and Evaluation
Interested persons should contact: DIVISION OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Deadline for applying: Until Filled
Starting Salary: $50,000.00
The employee in this position is fulfilling a support role and while not directly responsible for the design, implementation, administration and maintenance of database systems must have a level of knowledge or capacity to perform such work. The employee also tasked with assisting to maintain data models and data dictionaries; providing database assistance to participating agencies; assisting to maintain the accuracy, security, timeliness and quality of data through coordinated activities with agencies and programs; and assisting in improving and updating the system as required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE)
Assisting the DBA to:
- Develop application to assist with data collection and management;
- Manage and maintain a disaster recovery plan for territory SIS database servers
- Define specifications for purchase of technology equipment;
- Work directly with vendors to provide solutions for Departments’ data needs;
- Lead projects to standardize procedures and Data Quality initiatives;
- Maintain security;
- Manage user accounts including setting up locks and designing and modifying reports
- Performs related duties.
- Query data systems and provide reports
FACTOR I: KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of government operational procedures and business administration and supervision;
- Knowledge of the formal departmental goals, standards, policies and procedures which may include some familiarity of other departments;
- Ability to exercise resourcefulness in solving problems;
- Ability to administer the following;
Data replication practices
RDBMS backup and recovery
Data modeling tools
Visio Professional (Microsoft)
Database connection technologies
FACTOR II: SUPERVISORY CONTROLS
- Employee reports to the Director of Planning Research and Evaluation who assigns duties, describes scope of goals and objectives;
- Work is controlled by routine review and reporting to or consultation with supervisor.
FACTOR III: GUIDELINES
- Applicable federal and local laws and Departmental guidelines and procedures must be followed.
FACTOR IV: COMPLEXITY
- Work is of a demanding, confidential nature involving a variety of duties
FACTOR V: SCOPE AND EFFECT
- The technical expertise provided directly affects the efficiency and integrity of the data systems and errors this level will have major repercussions that will be counterproductive to achieving key goals.
FACTOR VI:, VII; PERSONAL CONTACTS, PUPROSE OF CONTACTS
- Contacts are with co-workers, employees from other government agencies, and administrative officials for the purpose of exchanging information and providing assistance to get work assignments and projects completed in timely fashion.
FACTOR VIII: PHYSICAL DEMANDS
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- Sit, and talk or hear within normal range;
- Reach with hands and arms;
- Read fine print, and review information on a PC monitor, as well as, hard copy output;
- Manipulate objects with fingers. For example, using a keyboard;
- Use the spoken word;
- Move about and exert some physical dexterity.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
FACTOR IX: WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Work environment involves normal everyday hazards or discomforts typical of offices;
- Some travel – inter island and to schools/activity centers – may be required.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or Information Technology with five years related experience; or
- Master of Arts in Computer Science Technology and at least three years related experience.
Interested persons should apply by visiting our website at www.teachusvi.net and select the appropriate application for submission procedures.
Send your complete application package to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Application documents required: (1) Completed Application, (2) Resume, (3) Cover Letter, (4) Official College Transcripts, (5) Certifications, (6) Licensures, (7) Three Letters of Recommendation, (8) Police Background Check and (9) Doctor’s Statement of Good Health.
****DUE TO A HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICANTS, THE DEPARTMENT WILL NOTIFY ONLY THOSE WHO ARE SELECTED
FOR THE NEXT STEP IN THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS. ****
Travel, transportation and relocation expenses are not authorized for this position. Any travel, transportation and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected candidate.