THE POSITION BELOW IS VACANT IN THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION:
POSITION TITLE: Financial Management Officer
LOCATION: St. Thomas/St. John District
Interested persons should contact: DIVISION OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Deadline for applying: July 15, 2016
Starting Salary: $ 35,996 GRADE: EC-24 STEP: 0
Union: Support Staff Unit – (AFT)\
This is work dealing with the formulation and compilation of budgetary data primarily for employee salaries and administrative support and service. An employee in this class prepares budgetary information for activity centers within the department in conformity with comprehensive policies, procedures and other operating functions established by higher education. Work is performed under the direction of a higher level officer and is reviewed for accuracy and completeness.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE):
- Requests proposed budget form activity centers; determines spending patterns and complies a draft budget for review by supervisor.
- Ensures availability of funding before various personnel transactions are enacted;
- Advises department heads on budget problems, assists them in the maintenance of proper appropriation and allotment accounts;
- Examines budget and accounts of the department, studies its operations and needs.
- Submits requests for budget adjustments, maintain running accounts and other fiscal documents and reports
- Reviews past expenditures of activity centers and prepares a proposed line item budget. Makes appropriate changes as needed. Notifies activity centers of their quarterly allotments.
- Prepares general ledger sheets for activity centers maintaining running balances, projections, reprogramming of funds and budget preparation. Reprograms funds by determining surpluses and deficits, prepares surplus/deficit reports spreadsheet for each activity.
- Maintain financial database
- Develop budget projections
- Performs other duties as required and assigned
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of and ability to utilize principles, methods, techniques and systems of financial management;
- Knowledge of departmental rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Knowledge of the rules and regulations of governmental accounting budgeting;
- Knowledge of accounting software functionality
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all persons contacted during the course of work;
- Ability to prepare accurate financial reports;
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or any closely related field which includes at least twelve (12) credits in accounting plus two year’s experience dealing with financial, accounting or budgetary matters
- High school diploma or its equivalent and eight (8) years experience dealing with financial, accounting or budgetary matters which include at least twelve (12) credits in accounting.
Interested persons should apply by visiting our website at www.teachusvi.net and select the appropriate application for submission procedures.
Send your complete application package to email@example.com for consideration.
Application documents required: (1) Completed Application, (2) Resume, (3) Cover Letter, (4) Official College Transcripts, (5) Certifications, (6) Licensures, (7) Three Letters of Recommendation, (8) Police Background Check and (9) Doctor’s Statement of Good Health.
****DUE TO A HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICANTS, THE DEPARTMENT WILL NOTIFY ONLY THOSE WHO ARE SELECTEDFOR THE NEXT STEP IN THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS. ****
Travel, transportation and relocation expenses are not authorized for this position. Any travel, transportation and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected candidate.