THE POSITION BELOW IS VACANT IN THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION:
POSITION TITLE: School Social Worker
LOCATION: St. Thomas - St. John District
Interested persons should contact: DIVISION OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Deadline for applying: Until Filled
Salary Range: $34,000
Union: American Federation of Teachers
This is intensive professional social work or rehabilitation counseling. An employee in this class works with minimum supervision and may be assigned some supervisory responsibility. The employee provides assistance, services, and information and makes referral for medical care, vocational guidance and/ or training. The school social worker also investigates social conditions in response to complaints, report’s findings and similar functions related to the operation of a service program when such work requires the application of specialized service skills and program knowledge. The employee may be assigned to any area in the Department of Education.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE):
- Assumes leaderships in the planning and provision of comprehensive psychological or rehabilitation services and in cases involving multiple and complicated social problems, and physically and mentally handicapping conditions;
- Provides competent individual, family and group treatment services with a minimum of supervisory contact, and serves as consultant to less experienced staff;
- Assists in needs assessment, designing implementation of staff training relative to the provision of treatment and vocational rehabilitation services;
- Interprets and disseminates laws and regulations affecting the client population to clients and the public;
- Participates in the development and administration of programs in the department;
- Assists in the initial and on-going orientation/ training of all clients, departmental staff and others, as designated;
- Participates where required in consulting with federal and local officials relative to funding legislative inter-agency other pertinent matters
- Prepares and maintains comprehensive case record on each client in accordance with local and federal standards;
- Prepares and maintains comprehensive case records on each client in accordance with local and federal standards;
- Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of principles and practices of social work and case management techniques;
- Knowledge of federal regulations, local laws and Department policies applicable to the assigned program;
- Knowledge of current information pertaining to the symptoms, control, treatment, and effects of substance abuse, mental illness and family dynamics in families dealing with chronic illness;
- Knowledge of public and private social services providers within the community resources and programs available to clients;
- Knowledge of collaborative case planning;
- Knowledge of de-escalation and crisis intervention techniques;
- Knowledge of principles, methods, and techniques of social work, rehabilitation counseling and the application of social work concepts and theories;
- Knowledge of normal and abnormal behavior and the cultural psychological implications of family disunity, unemployment, vocational rehabilitation, illness, delinquency, functional illiteracy, etc;
- Knowledge of human development theory and psycho-social treatment process;
- Knowledge of rehabilitation counseling theories, mission and practices;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Ability to demonstrate advanced interviewing and psychosocial assessment skills;
- Ability to exercise sound, independent judgment in carrying out functions of the position.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree in Social Work, Rehabilitation Counseling or closely related field and at least two (2) years of social work experience; and
- A valid license to practice Social Work in the USVI
Interested persons should apply by visiting our website at www.vide.vi and select the appropriate application for submission procedures.
Send your complete application package to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Application documents required: (1) Completed Application, (2) Resume, (3) Cover Letter, (4) Official College Transcripts, (5) Certifications, (6) Licensures, (7) Three Letters of Recommendation, (8) Police Background Check and (9) Doctor’s Statement of Good Health.
Travel, transportation and relocation expenses are not authorized by this position. Any travel, transportation and relocation expense associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected candidate