Government of the United States Virgin Islands Department of Education
Office of Human Resources
POSITION: Assistant Director Maintenance and Operations
The Assistant Director of Maintenance and Operations works under the general supervision of the Director of Maintenance and Operations. The individual in this class will be responsible for all activities related to maintaining all facilities. The individual is also responsible for ensuring compliance with all School Board policies and regulations, district and regulatory agency requirements and guidelines; and monitoring employee performance in achieving the department’s overall objectives.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE)
- Oversee the maintenance and functioning of building systems including mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire/life safety, elevators, and controls/emergency management systems.
- Oversee maintenance, repair, modification, installation and construction by all maintenance staff inclusive of laborers, electricians, carpentry, maintenance and maintenance mechanic.
- Oversee the development, implementation, and maintenance of standard operating procedures for facilities systems, emergency response, workplace services and general department policies.
- Oversee the periodic inspection of St. Croix Schools to ensure the completion of repair needed, proper working condition and general operating efficiency.
- Provide direction and guidance for all maintenance activities.
- Confer with Maintenance Supervisors on team schedules and estimating man-power requirements for completion of job assignments
- Enforce safety regulations.
- Establish or adjust operations to meet time lines using knowledge of capacities of equipment, machines and personnel.
- Implement measures to improve service, production, equipment performance and utilization and work conditions.
- Collaborate with internal and external personnel for the purpose of implementing and/or maintaining facilities.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive preventative maintenance program.
- Develop priorities for planned maintenance projects.
- Coordinate response and actions for emergency situations.
- Assist with developing the budget, approve expenditures, and ensure that expenses are within budget limits.
- Perform personnel functions including evaluating, supervising, directing action and activities, and leading the division.
- Ensure that appropriate professional development activities are provided for personnel
- Evaluate projects, determine feasibility and scope of work and estimates material and personnel requirements.
- Demonstrate and guide supervisors in effective leadership and management strategies
- Inspect and approve work performed by internal staff.
Assistant Director of Maintenance and Operations Page 2
- Read and interpret blueprints, plans, specifications and drawings to determine job requirements.
- Communicate with maintenance employees, supervisor, other department executive and staff.
- Collaborate with school personnel regarding job requests and outcomes.
- Train and evaluate job performance of shop personnel.
- Manage work order records and parts inventory. S
- Approve the procurement parts and services with vendors.
- Perform related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of procurement rules and regulations and rules of Government contracting;
- Excellent skills in communicating clearly and effectively in English, including writing clear and concise documents.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Must be flexible, proactive, highly motivated, resourceful, professional and efficient;
- Ability to respond to emergency situations at any time and to work unusual hours as required.
- Ability to work independently or with little supervision
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of subordinates.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with members of the Department’s staff and other external entities and bodies;
- Ability to exercise sound, independent judgment in carrying out functions of the position.
- Thorough knowledge of the basic principles and methods of mechanical and maintenance trades as applied to the repair of large buildings; general knowledge of basic architectural and engineering principles and concepts.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, equipment, tools, and materials used in maintenance work.
- Thorough knowledge of the hazard and safety precautions involved in maintenance work.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in general facilities planning/management or a related field. A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in building maintenance including increasing responsibilities and supervisory experience in plant operation functions required or
- Associates degree with emphasis in general facilities planning/management or a related field. A minimum of seven (7) years’ experience in building maintenance including increasing responsibilities and supervisory experience in plant operation functions required.
- Possession of a valid Virgin Island’s driver’s license
“No person shall be discriminated against in employment or in any other educational program or activity offered by the Virgin Islands Department of Education on account of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, handicap, or age.”
Complaint may write to:
Division of Human Resources
Division of Human Resources
21-33 Hospital Street
1834 Kongens Gade
Christiansted VI 00820
St. Thomas VI 00802