POSITION: Accounts Payable Specialist
This is responsible technical account related wok in examining and verifying purchase and pay documents. An employee in this class is responsible for ensuring that purchases and payments are processed properly according to existing policies, laws and regulations. Employee is required to prepare a variety of accounting reports including financial statements. Work is performed under the direction of the supervisor and is reviewed through conferences and reports.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE)
- Coordinates payment on government bills for services rendered with vendors.
- Requests invoices and relevant documents from employees and or school/activity centers to ensure timely payments and or reimbursements;
- Maintains files of all transactions inclusive of encumbrances to pay vendors who have been awarded contracts and bids for local and/or federal funds;
- Prepares progress and/or monthly reports on all fiscal transactions;
- Verify and input into the authorized fiscal system all invoices,, supporting documentation, PO numbers, receiving reports, invoice data, etc. in order to make timely payments;
- Tracks batches for payment at the Department of Finance;
- Advises school/activity centers on new fiscal procedures;
- Perform related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of accounting principles and procedures and their application to a wide variety of transactions in governmental accounting;
- Ability to apply acquired accounting knowledge in the performance and solution of a variety of accounting and fiscal problems;
- Ability to prepare and complete accurate accounting reports and statements;
- Excellent skills in communicating clearly and effectively in English, including writing clear and concise documents.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Must be flexible, proactive, highly motivated, resourceful, professional and efficient;
- Ability to work independently or with little supervision
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with members of the Department’s staff and other external entities and bodies;
- Ability to exercise sound, independent judgment in carrying out functions of the position.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting or related field and one year of accounting, book keeping or fiscal related experience.
“No person shall be discriminated against in employment or in any other educational program or activity offered by the Virgin Islands Department of Education on account of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, handicap, or age.”