By Amiquah Freeman 168 downloads
THE POSITION BELOW IS VACANT IN THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION:
POSITION TITLE: Chauffer
LOCATION: St. Croix District
Interested persons should contact: DIVISION OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Deadline for applying: May 10, 2019
Union: American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
An employee in this class transports passengers to and from workplaces and business-related events. Individual will also be responsible for the picking up and carrying messages, documents, packages and other items between offices or departments within an establishment or to other businesses. The professional driver must be alert to conditions on the road, especially in heavy and congested traffic or in bad weather and take precautions to prevent accidents and to avoid sudden stops, turns, and jarring maneuvers. The individual will be directly supervised by a higher level officer who would provide the individual’s scope of duties.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE)
- Delivers messages, packages and/or people between schools and/or activity centers and other work-related destinations;
- May transport individuals with special needs, such as those with disabilities;
- Load vehicles with listed goods, ensuring that goods are loaded correctly;
- Unload and sorted items collected along the designated routes;
- Plan and follow the most efficient routes for delivering goods, messages or people;
- Maintain communication with destination and point of departure through radio or cell phone;
- Maintain records of daily visits in the log book;
- Sort incoming mail and deliver to appropriate recipients within the office;
- Ensure that delivery is done in a timely manner;
- Sort deliverable items in accordance to delivery items in order to ensure maximum efficiency;
- Checks the vehicle’s fuel and oil levels and make sure that the lights, brakes, and windshield wipers are in good working order;
- May perform routine tasks such as changing tires or adding oil and other fluids;
- Inspects the vehicle for cleanliness and, when needed, may clean the interior and wash the exterior body, windows, and mirrors;
- Adjust rear and side mirrors and seats for comfort;
- Reports to the Department mechanic any equipment or part not in good working order;
- Performs related duties and functions as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the Department’s policies, rules and regulations;
- Knowledge of the location of schools and activity centers and local geography;
- Knowledge of the location of fire and police stations and hospitals, in case of emergency;
- Knowledge of motor vehicle laws, safe driving practices, and relevant regulations;
- Knowledge of basic mechanics;
- Knowledge of correct English usage, both spoken and written;
- Ability to understand, follow and carry out written and oral instructions;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and persons contacted during the course of work; must be able to maintain a professional attitude in the performance of all duties;
- Ability to work independently with general supervision.
- Ability to work on multiple concurrent tasks with constant interruptions;
- Must be flexible, proactive, highly motivated, resourceful, professional and efficient;
- The chauffeur is directly supervised by a higher level officer who outlines scope of duties.
- The chauffeur is guided by the Department’s policies, rules and regulations and must maintain a professional attitude in the performance of all duties.
- The chauffeur is regularly required to work on multiple concurrent tasks with constant interruptions, and to interact with other staff members, the general public and others encountered in the course of work, some of whom may be dissatisfied individuals.
SCOPE AND EFFECT
- Assists management by attending to a wide variety of duties, necessary to ensure an uninterrupted workflow.
Contacts are with co-workers, employees from other government agencies, and the general public.
PURPOSE OF CONTACTS
- The employee in this position will answer questions, offer or obtain general information, provide assistance on routine matters, and provide dependable efficient transportation service.
While performing the duties of this class, an employee is regularly required to:
- Sit for long periods with infrequent standing, walking, stooping or bending;
- Talk and hear within normal range;
- Use hands and feet to operate vehicle;
- Reach with hands and arms;
- Occasionally load and unload packages;
- Lift up to twenty 70 pounds.
- Work environment involves normal everyday hazards of the road.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or GED
- Excellent driving record
- Possession of a valid Virgin Island’s driver’s license
- Be at least 21 years of age
“No person shall be discriminated against in employment or in any other educational program or activity offered by the Virgin Islands Department of Education on account of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, handicap, or age.”
Send your complete application package to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Application documents required: (1) Completed Application, (2) Resume, (3) Cover Letter, (4) Official College Transcripts, (5) Certifications, (6) Licensures, (7) Three Letters of Recommendation, (8) Police Background Check (9) Doctor’s Statement of Good Health.
****DUE TO A HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICANTS, THE DEPARTMENT WILL NOTIFY ONLY THOSE WHO ARE SELECTED
FOR THE NEXT STEP IN THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS. ****
Travel, transportation and relocation expenses are not authorized for this position. Any travel, transportation and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected candidate.