pdf Administrative Assistant - STX Popular
By Amiquah Freeman 149 downloads
THE POSITION BELOW IS VACANT IN THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION:
POSITION TITLE: Administrative Assistant
LOCATION: St. Croix District
Interested persons should contact: DIVISION OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Deadline for applying: April 19, 2019
Union: American Federation of Teachers
This is a highly complex administrative work. An employee in this class is responsible for performing administrative staff assignments and office management work. Work differs from that of an Administrative Officer III by the complexity of assignments and independent decision making, but an employee is also allowed to use his/her own judgment where necessary. Direction is received from a higher level officer or department head to assure consistency with policies and procedures within the St. Croix District Consolidated Grant Application. Work is performed under the direction of the supervisor and is reviewed through conferences and reports. This is a Federally-funded position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE)
- Assists in planning, developing, executing and operating procedures for an agency or division;
- Participates in the planning and programming of agency activities and assists in formulating work schedules;
- Provides administrative staff support in the areas of fiscal management and other administrative functions;
- Supervises the maintenance of files and records, supplies and materials, and the preparation of reports;
- Prepares budget estimates of funds needed by the organizational unit suggesting needs for additional equipment, supplies, or personnel;
- Prepares per diems, request for proposals, requests for quotes needed for activity/project completion;
- Drafts appropriate justifications and therefore ensures proper duplication and assembly of the division’s budget estimates;
- Ensures compliance with the laws, rules and policies governing budgetary and fiscal matters, recommending when certain expenditures should be made, and informs proper authorities on the availability of unexpended funds to avoid overspending;
- Functions as a representative of the department or division; discusses and interprets agency or division programs and procedures;
- Ensures that personnel are informed of new or revised operating policies and that they are properly implemented;
- Prepares reports on the operation of the unit for use by higher-level departmental officials;
- Performs liaison work between agencies and representatives of other organizations; confers with supervisor and other officials from other agencies in the development, interpretation and implementation of programs;
- Recommends to supervisor any changes required to current policies and procedures; assures that new and revised policies and procedures are implemented interprets, discusses and explains;
- Supervises the work of assigned subordinated personnel and reviews work for accuracy and completeness;
- Identifies, analyzes and recommends administrative policies and procedures for effective administrative operation of the division;
- Reviews and draft correspondence for review and signature of the supervisor;
- Coordinates the collection and preparation of operating reports, such as time and attendance records, budgetary expenditures and other statistical data;
- Compiles data and prepare periodic special reports;
- Performs other related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of the policies, rules, regulations and procedures affecting the operation of the agency and division;
- Considerable knowledge of research techniques;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Word, Excel and Outlook;
- Excellent skills in communicating clearly and effectively;
- Must be flexible, proactive, highly motivated, resourceful, professional and efficient;
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with members of the Department’s staff and other external entities and bodies;
- Ability to prepare accurate, clear, complete, and concise reports;
- Ability to analyze, interpret and report research findings;
- Ability to interpret and understand complex procedures;
- Ability to prepare and review complex activity reports of the division and/or agency;
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality;
- Ability to remain calm under trying circumstances and work with frequent interruptions;
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods at one given time.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Public Administration or related field and four (4) years of progressively strong administrative experience or
- Associate degree in Business or related field and six (6) years of progressively strong administrative experience or
- Considerable administrative experience dealing with personnel, procurement or budgeting, at least eight (8) years, which includes at least one year experience as an Administrative Officer III or a related capacity.
“No person shall be discriminated against in employment or in any other educational program or activity offered by the Virgin Islands Department of Education on account of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, handicap, or age.”
Send your complete application package to email@example.com for consideration.
Application documents required: (1) Completed Application, (2) Resume, (3) Cover Letter, (4) Official College Transcripts, (5) Certifications, (6) Licensures, (7) Three Letters of Recommendation, (8) Police Background Check and (9) Doctor’s Statement of Good Health.
****DUE TO A HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICANTS, THE DEPARTMENT WILL NOTIFY ONLY THOSE WHO ARE SELECTED
FOR THE NEXT STEP IN THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS. ****
Travel, transportation and relocation expenses are not authorized for this position. Any travel, transportation and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected candidate.